Husband: Samuel H. Wood (Fig. R372a)
Father: John Carter Wood [R362]
Mother: Mary W. (Polly) (Channell) Wood [R362]
Born: 6/11/1857
Died: 12/22/1936, buried in the Mingo Cemetery

Wife: Fannie M. (Beaty) Wood (Fig. R372a; see Fig. R362a)
Father: George Beaty [see R361]
Mother: Ann Eliza (Simpson) Beaty [see R361]
Born: 8/19/1867
Died: 7/19/1936, buried in the Mingo Cemetery.

Married: 1886

Children (Fig. R372a):
    Herbert Holt Wood, 6/4/1887-2/11/1973 [R373]
    Lucy Edna Wood, 3/23/1889-5/8/1969, not married
    Howard B. Wood, m. Annabelle Seldon

(1996) A general store at Mingo Run was built and operated by Samuel Wood in the nineteenth and twentieth century. Later his daughter Lucy Edna ran it. An earlier store and a house at the site, which is close to the Mingo Run Presbyterian Church, had been built by Col. Jacob Williamson Marshall and his wife Georgiana before the Civil War, but the buildings were burned in the War. Marshall rebuilt the store and house, and added a two-story “hotel.” Later the store (Fig. R372b) and house were sold to Samuel Wood and his wife Fannie. The present house (Fig. R372c) was built in 1880 by one of the “English Colony” that dwelt in the Mingo area at that time [see R908]. The Editor of the Pocahontas Times noted in 1932 [S121] that “Hon. S. H. Wood would spend the winters in Elkins to give his children the benefit of the superior educational advantages to be found at Davis and Elkins College,” and that Samuel was responsible for raising funds to construct the monument to the Mingo Indian tribe that stands on the road just above his house and store and the two Presbyterian Churches. The monument was dedicated 9/25/1920.

Ultimately the store was sold to Gwendolyn Wood [R272]; see “Wood’s General Store,” [R911].

Sources: [S030, S031, S087, S105, S130]