Husband: John Quillen Wilson
Father: William Hall Wilson [R377]
Mother: Jane (McCampbell) Wilson [R377]
Born: 6/13/1812 in Rockbridge County Va.
Died: 5/12/1898, buried in Gibbon Okla.

Wife: Harriet S. (Wood) Wilson
Father: Edward Wood [R003]
Mother: Sarah (Gilliland) Wood [R003]
Born: 1/28/1818

Married: 11/18/1837, in Bath County. Surety, Joseph T. Wood. Edward
    Wood consents for Harriet. Witnesses, John W. Moore and Joseph
    T. Wood [S002]

James (Jim) W. Wilson, b. ~1839
William (Billie) H. Wilson, b. ~1840, m. 7/26/1866 to Rachel Crouch
    (d. of Abraham and Catherine Crouch)
Sarah J. Wilson, b. ~1842
Nancy A. Wilson, b. ~1844, m. Samuel Moore [see R354]
Edward Wilson, b. ~1848 (not in the 1860 census; probably died
Levi Wilson, b. 1849
Baxter Wilson, b. ~1851
Jacob Wilson, b. ~1855 (not in the 1870 census; probably died young)
Mary M. Wilson, b. 1859

(1996) By 1850 John and Harriet Wilson had moved to a tract of land that Betsy’s father Edward [R003] had deeded to them from his Randolph County “Wedge Lot.” This tract was in the vicinity of W1 in Fig. R361b. In 1852 John bought an additional 219 acres of land on the Tygart Valley River from the Edward Wood estate for $357 (DB20-73; tract W2 in Fig. R361b).

Sons William H. Wilson (5/24/1861) and James W. Wilson (6/24/1861) enlisted in the 31st Virginia Infantry [R024]. William Wilson was promoted to Second Lieutenant, date of rank 5/1/1862. In 1864 he signed the muster roll “Comdg Co.” He was wounded in the battle of Gaines Mill, 6/27/1862. On 3/28/1863 he signed a petition, along with other officers of his Regiment, to be transferred to duty in northwestern Virginia. At the time he was stationed near Fredericksburg Va. On 12/12/1863 he tendered his resignation, perhaps over the same issue. On 6/1/1864 he was admitted to Chimborazo Hospital No. 4 in Richmond, gun shot wound right side and left ear. He was given 30 days furlough on 6/3/1864. William was captured at Petersburg Va. on 3/25/1865, appears on the register at the Old Capitol Prison in Washington DC 3/27/1865, and was sent to Fort Delaware 3/30/1865. On 6/17/1865 he signed the oath of allegiance at Fort Delaware and was released. On this document he was described as having a light complexion, black hair, grey eyes, and a height of 6 feet.

The surviving records for James Wilson, a private in Company F of the 31st Virginia, show him absent sick during much of 1862. He was transferred to hospital service 1/15/1863. This seems to have been the fate of Confederate soldiers who were not up to combat duty. A list of detached and detailed men of Early’s Division dated 8/12/1863 still carried him on hospital duty in Lexington Va.

Figure R362a shows Billie and Jim Wilson, now old men, at a meeting of Randolph County W.V. Confederate Camp No. 1602 soon after the turn of the century.

Sources: [S031, S075, S077, S088, S104, S106, S123, S124, S127]