Husband: Davis (Dave) Miller Wood III (Fig. R258a)
Father: Davis (Sandy) Miller Wood II [R257]
Mother: Marie Christine (Bergstrom) Wood [R257]
Born: 2/5/1916, in Hannibal Mo.
Died: 7/26/1994, in San Luis Obispo Cal.

Wife: Doris Winona (Dubert) Wood
Father: Harry C. Dubert, b. Niles MI
Mother: Ada Alma (Reeves) Dubert, b. Ottumwa Ia.
Born: 6/13/1914, in Okanogan Wa.

Married: 2/24/1940, in Peoria Ill.

Children (Fig. R258b):
Barbara Jean Wood, 11/8/1945-11/9/1945 in Seattle Wa.
Patricia (Patte) Ann Wood, b. 1/29/1949 and adopted 2/7/1949 in
    Seattle Wa. Occupation, Arts Administrator. Patricia is [S077], the
    source of much information in this document, especially about the
    James Wood [R253] line.
Sandra (Sandy) Marie Wood, b. 10/24/1950 in Hinsdale Ill.
    Occupation, Aerospace Engineer (with the Mcdonnell Douglas

In Davis’s own words [S103], he “...started schooling in a one-tent school at the extreme end of Burrard’s Inlet, B.C. and transferred to the Tacoma, Wa. system when his parents returned to Washington. He attended grade and High Schools in Tacoma, graduating from Lincoln High School in Feb. 1933. After a year and a half of work at North Star Manufacturing Co. (makers of work gloves), he enrolled at the college of Puget Sound and transferred to Washington State College in Pullman, Wa. He graduated (Magna Cum Laude) in 1939 with a degree in Electrical Engineering (Fig. R258a). Here he met and became engaged to Doris Winona Dubert.

“He began his career in the Engineering Trainee program with Caterpillar Tractor Co. in Peoria, Il. where he and Doris were married on Feb. 24, 1940. He left Caterpillar and moved to Renton, Wa. to accept the post of Design Engineer at Pacific Car and Foundry Co. There he designed logging equipment and helped build tanks and tank-retrievers during the war. In 1945 he moved to Western Gear Corp. in Seattle where he designed industrial equipment. As a result of the paper on gear durability he wrote for his professional license he was offered the post of Director of Research for Foote Bros. Gear and Machine Co. in Chicago. After five years work on worm gears he moved to Spokane, Wa. as a Staff Engineer where he worked to improve the equipment and processes for the production of aluminum sheet and plate products. In 1957, when Kaiser moved their operation to Ravenswood, W. Va. he moved to Los Altos, Ca. and joined Lockheed Missile and Space Co. He was part of the original design team for the Polaris Missile System and worked as a Supervisor and Staff Engineer on the Polaris, Poseidon and Trident programs until he retired to Los Osos, Ca. in 1980.

“In the course of his work he was responsible for several patents covering such diverse items as an oil pump for gearing requiring no additional moving parts, an hydraulic suspension system, portable radiographic equipment (an x-ray lab in a suitcase including film and processing for sixty exposures).

“From his father he inherited love for the outdoors, especially hunting, fishing, shooting, and a love of boats. From fourteen on he usually owned a boat. He bought his first boat ten years before he owned an automobile!

“Since retiring, he and Doris have enjoyed traveling whenever they could. To all continents except Antarctica!”

Of her life, Doris writes “My parents, my brother and I lived in Okanogan for seven months, and then we moved to Harrington, Washington (near Spokane). We lived there until I was six years old. My brother was sixteen.

“My father thought his son should spend some time on a farm, so we moved to Four Lakes, Washington (near Spokane). Edwin and I went four miles to school in a covered wagon called the ‘Kid Wagon’. We lived there two years.

“Dad went back to barbering in Colfax, Washington. We lived in a hotel there three or four months, and then Dad bought a barber shop in Pullman, about fourteen miles from Colfax. This was in 1924. The house we rented in Pullman burned, along with two other houses, on Christmas Eve when I was ten years old. It was below zero that night at one o’clock and there was lots of snow. Dad’s brother and his wife (Will and Lillie) lived in Pullman, so we moved in with them until we could find another house to rent.

“I graduated from Pullman High School in 1933. I wasn’t planning to go to college until two ladies mother did housework for offered to loan her twenty five dollars each so I could enroll. At that time the tuition was fifty-six dollars a semester. Shortly after I started my classes I begin to work for W.P.A. (Works Progress Administration) and typed for the Dean of Men. That made it possible for me to pay my own tuition for the second semester.

“The summer before my second year I was hired as a secretary for the Head of the Mechanical Engineering Department, Professor Howard H. Langdon. I worked for him afternoons and Saturdays and had classes in the mornings. I worked there until I took the train to Peoria, Illinois to marry Davis, February 24, l940.

“One year later we moved to Renton, Washington...During W.W.II I worked for the Air Force (Intercepter Command) first as a volunteer and then as a secretary until 1944.”

Sources: [S077, S103]